Sunday, July 20, 2014

Life Through My Lens: More of the Harpswells

Although the sun did not make an appearance until two hours before sunset, the diffused light made for a pretty good day for photos.  I left at 7:30 this morning for the Harpswell area again, this time to visit Bailey's and Orr's Islands.

Bridge detail -- all granite blocks
Bailey's and Orr's are connected by a granite block bridge built in a grid, with open spaces to let the tides flow through.  It is the only one of its kind in the world.  The 1928 bridge was built to allow for tides, ice floes, to minimize salt water and erosion damage, and to allow boat traffic through.  It looks a bit lumpy and awkward, but it does the trick.

The Cribstone Bridge
Lupine
I stopped at a little cafe for coffee, currently in a former school house.  I stopped again at another cafe, this time to photograph the bridge.  I continued on to Mackerel Cove, where I got out and did a nice walk.  It was quiet in the morning, since lobster boats cannot go out on Sundays.




Morning Swing
Black and White Buoys
A little girl was swinging by the water, watched over by her grandmother.  Gulls squawked nearby.  A tent was being prepared for an outdoor wedding.  Lobstermen were gathered in groups talking by the wharf or working on their boats.  Music could be heard from the church service at the entrance to the cove.
Giant's Stairs



View from near the end of the trail at Giant's Stairs
Another site I visited was the Giant's Stairs, a natural rock formation leading down to the water from above.  It is along a well-maintained path lined with beach roses, wood poppies, and Queen Anne's lace.  I even found a lupine.  I spent a lot of time photographing the flowers.

Mackerel Cove
Me again.
On my way back to Brunswick, I stopped at Cundy's Harbor, where I visited a gift shop and the general store.  I also bought a giclee print at an art show being held in a former school building.  I was happy to support the local artists.

Beach Rose
This evening I returned once again to Bailey Island to eat at Cook's Lobster House.  I watched the sun come out over the water as I worked on my triple lobster tail dinner.  It was heavenly.

Tomorrow I leave the coast to go inland to the Belgrade Lakes area to visit my friend Sally.  I've had a wonderful time on the coast.  I hope you enjoy my pix!





***********************************
Click on any photo to enlarge.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment