Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 211 - Worthington Farm at Monocacy Battlefield

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

I got my April issue of Maryland Magazine today, and it features locations in Maryland that are endangered historic sites.  One of them was Frederick's beloved Monocacy Battlefields!

Worthington Farmhouse
The battlefields are in prime development areas.  Thomas Farm is on the east side of I-270, and Worthington is on the wes.
  I-270 cuts right through the two farms, which were clearly neighbors at the time of the battle.  As development pushes northward from the metro area, I can see why these beautiful farms would be in danger of encroachment.

I know that they were not in danger TODAY, but I was compelled to go out and visit Worthington Farm again, partly because it was a beautiful (although windy) day, and partly because there was a hiking trail I had not been on yet.

Storm Damage
I was the only one there, which happens frequently in the middle of a workday, and I took the blue blazed trail to the left of the farmhouse.  Descending the slope, it was obvious that this wooded area has sustained a lot of damage from storms, SuperStorm Sandy notwithstanding.

Top of the ridge; farm below.
The trail led downward to a stream, which I crossed via a little bridge, and then it began to parallel the base of a big ridge.  It continued for some distance, then began backtracking in S-curves to the top of the ridge.  At the top, I left the trail to see what was on the other side of the ridge.  From there I was over top of a farm with silos and a barn, which is visible when coming in on the lane leading to Worthington.  I could also see across I-270 to Thomas Farm.

The trail descends from the ridge
The coward would not come out!
I continued on the trail, which began its downhill descent, once again crossing the stream via a different bridge.  This emerged at the edge of the fenced cow pastures.  I rounded the pastures, following the fence, when a large groundhog scurried across the lane and went down a hole to my left.  I approached his hole, peered inside, and gave him a stern lecture about making false promises.  He did not make any apologies for his erroneous prediction.  "It's not my fault!  That was a PA groundhog," I am sure he was thinking to himself.

Brooks Hill is in the distance.
At the corner of the cow pasture were some signs.  I discovered I had just come from Brooks Hill, and a left turn would take me to Ford Loop.  I opted to save Ford Loop for another day, since I was already one hour into this walk.

Little Number 15
I passed the cows, who kept backing up from the fence the closer I got.  Perhaps they did not want to be the object of another stern lecture from me, since they had witnessed my earlier confrontation with their neighbor.

Worthington Farm is a wonderful place to go.  I sincerely hope that public awareness of its plight will help to deter any development.  Joggers and hikers and families can enjoy animals and nature and get a good workout.  Soon the bluebells will be in bloom, and I will be out with my camera on the trails again.



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment