Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 235 - Cades Cove in the Smokies

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Dan Lawson's Place
Lone tree
This morning our photography group got up early and headed to Cades Cove to get in line with all the other photographers, waiting for the ranger to open the gate.  We did some sunrise shooting before continuing around the loop. 

Late morning light
Sitting Pretty
When we got to the Dan Lawson Place, I broke away from the group do my walk.  This location in Cades Cove has reproduction buildings of the homestead of one of the original settlers, consisting of a cabin, a smokehouse, and a barn.  It is located on a meadow that leads up to a hill, and is surrounded by a stacked split rail fence.  Goldfinches were flitting around in the trees by the cabin, landing in groups on the ground around the fence and then back up into the trees.

Across the road, which has wooden fence posts strung with metal wire, swallows were perched.  Even when cars would come by on the narrow road, they would not fly away.

The barn at Lawson's Place
Deer in the meadow
View from the cabin
I walked up to the barn and beyond, through a meadow heavy with dew.  I came out by the road and photographed a beautiful lone tree across the road, backed up by a mist covered mountain.  I photographed a swallow sitting on the wire and followed the road a distance to get to a different perspective on the tree.  As I approached the house again, a deer came into the meadow to the right of the cabin.

Lone Tree different perspective
The other photographers in my group were concentrating on photographing inside the cabin and barn, so they were not even aware that I was out doing my walk.  My soaking wet boots gave me away.

It was a beautiful morning in Cades Cove, and I hope to return there very soon.


 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment