Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 227 - Rose Hill Manor

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

View from the ice house
Red Bud
Rose Hill Manor is beautiful any time of year, but today spring flowers were out in abundance, and I took the opportunity on a mild, overcast day to walk the grounds.  The last time I was there was in the fall.

Rose Hill is part of the Frederick County Parks Department, and workers were out mowing the fields and powerwashing the garden benches.  There were also a couple of school buses in the parking lot when I arrived; I could see groups of kids about ages 7 or 8 with their teachers, listening to docents in period costume give them a tour of the buildings.

White barn with trees
Tulip Magnolia
The manor house
Almost Open
L is for Lauren
First I walked the perimeter of the property, passing by the side that parallels Rt. 15 North, and then around the back to the farmhouse and the stream beyond it.  I walked past the big white barn and then followed the stream to the Rt. 355 side of the property. 

At the corner of property, by the old Coca Cola plant, I walked the paved drive back up to the manor house.  Along the way I chatted with a grandmother who was taking her 5 month old grandson for a walk.  After telling me all about how she and her husband bought and cleared some river property in West Virginia 40 years ago and built a house, she launched into raising the children at that house; by the time she got to the decade when her daughter was ready to go to college, thank goodness the baby woke up and began to fuss.  I saw my opportunity to escape, so I encouraged her to keep on walking with the baby, while I made for the manor house.  She had at least another 20 years of life to relate to me, and I needed to finish my walk!

Log Cabin Replica
The garden was off limits, unless I wanted to get wet from the power washing, so I spent a little time in the front yard, looking into the ice house and then focusing on a tulip tree that was in the last stages of blooming.  I put my little camera in macro mode and stuck in right into the center of the blossoms.

I finished my walk just in time.  The front doors of the house opened and a class full of kids spilled out onto the front lawn, running and chasing each other and expending a little energy before they had to get back on the bus.

If you have not visited Rose Hill Manor, there is usually something interesting going on most weekends at this historic place.  I encourage you to check it out!


******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment