Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 225 - Audobon on Boyer's Mill Road

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

For Rent
Sometimes I get my inspiration for where to walk from the local newspaper.  I read this morning that there will be a spring migrant nature walk on Saturday, April 20, from 9 - 11 a.m. at the Fred Archibald Audubon Sanctuary in New Market to see the birds that are either taking up residence (purple martins) or passing through (Louisiana Waterthrush) or established nesters (chickadee, bluebirds, etc.)

Because I had not been there in a while, I decided that might be a good place to walk today, to see if I could find any of the birds myself.

Flattened grasses
The first thing I noticed when I got there is that there is a big change in the appearance of the open areas.  What used to be tall grasses with teasel, milkweed, and brambles, is now flattened.  It looks like someone took a bush hog through there, to mow it all down.  It is not clean mowed, but clearly it has been altered.  It is probably a yearly maintenance thing, to make room for new growth.  The paths between the natural areas were green with grass and well defined.

Waiting for Martins
I did see crows, turkey vultures, chickadees, robins, juncos, sparrows, bluebirds, mockingbirds, and cardinals.  I heard lots of woodpeckers.  None of them, unfortunately, were close enough for any photos.

Wisteria
I walked the entire area, getting a good workout.  I discovered there is even more land involved than I realized when I found a nature conservancy area, as well.

It was a good walk -- I was hot and tired and sweaty by the end of it.  I was harassed by a couple of bees for a portion of my walk, which reminded me that it is time to pack insect repellent in the pack I carry with my on my walks.  Tick repellent is probably a good idea, too, for when I am in the woods and tall grasses.  After all, spring is a time for new life, especially in the insect world!



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment