Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 243 - Susquehanna State Park

(Clcik on any photo to enlarge it.)

Pawpaw tree
Rock Run Grist Mill
Today I had the pleasure of a new walking partner, John Maloney, who took me to the Susquehanna State Park.  I met John through the Central Maryland Photographer's Guild, and he is always ready to go on a photo field trip.  He told me of many great locations, but I wanted to see if we could find more wildflowers, trilliums in particular, so we drove north this morning.  John is a frequent visitor to the area, because he photographs eagles regularly at the nearby Conowingo Dam.

John in the stream
Jack in the Pulpit
We parked at the Rock Run Grist Mill area, which has a 200 year old stone grist mill, a spring house, a toll house for the nearby canal ruins, and the Carter-Archer Mansion, home of James J. Archer, a Confederate general in the Civil War.

We walked along the hill above the mill, then along the road leading uphill away from the mansion.  Soon we came to a waterfall at a dam, which originally provided water for the mill below.  Along the hillsides we found trillium, jack-in-the-pulpits, may apples, violets, spring beauty, red bud, and dogwood. 

Trillium
At the end of our trip, we stopped by an eagle's nest, with three chicks.  Even though it was not on our walk, I have included one of the pictures for you to see.
Mama feeding her young

It was a great day at the park.  Thanks, John, for taking me to a place I will surely visit again.


Rock Run Dam























Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment