Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 267 - 12.8 Miles on the C&O Canal

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

The Potomac River
Sometimes there is water
in the canal.
I saw an opportunity today, and I took it.  Nice afternoon + available company + holiday weekend + time to accomplish the task = a 12.8 mile photo bike ride on the C&O Canal.

Now, before anyone says that this is supposed to be a photo WALK, may I remind you that I am the one who created my own rules?  Therefore, I can bend the rules, too.  So today, I did.  After all, one of the reasons I do the daily walks is to get exercise, and riding a bike for 12.8 miles is certainly exercise.

This is how we roll...
Fragrant wild roses
I have a young woman living with me, Kristin, who is from Florida.  She is interning in physical therapy with my son-in-law, and today she only had to work half a day.  She has not had time to explore the area, because she is either at work or studying, but today, we found ourselves with an open afternoon, so I suggested we load the bikes on the SUV and get on the towpath at Point of Rocks.

The massive tree on the path
We arrived at Point of Rocks and rode south, with the goal of getting to the Monocacy Aqueduct.  As we rode along the tow path, I explained to Kristin the history of the area.  I told her about the barges, the locks, the lock houses, and the role of the aqueducts.  Kristin loved the cool green shade of the tow path, the towering trees, and the fact that we were riding along a path of American history.  We both enjoyed the fresh air, often fragrant with the scent of wild roses.  I also taught Kristin what poison ivy looks like.
See the kid on the top of the arc?

Between Noland's Ferry and Monocacy, we came to a gigantic tree that had recently fallen across the path.  People were stopped to marvel at the tree, and onlookers were helping bike riders to lift their bikes over the trees, including ours. 

The Monocacy Aqueduct -- we made it!
At the end of our ride, we were both feeling the effects of our workout.  I think we will definitely sleep well tonight.








Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment