Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 260 - Doub's Mill and Beaver Creek

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

The mill race still races
Outdoor kitchen
Sometimes, when I know I have a whole day ahead of me and I want to go somewhere historic, I check the Maryland Tourism website, which has a ton of inspiration.  That's how I found today's site, Doub's Mill in eastern Washington County.

The area is designated a heritage site, and I had no idea what to expect.  I knew there were some historic buildings, but I was not sure it if would be operated like a park.  The drive there was scenic, and once I arrived, I drove around the area to see what there was.

Rent me for fishing!
I found the mill, a barn, and several homes, all built out of the same stone.  However, no parking and no signs about the buildings.  Luckily, there was a parking area designated for fly fishermen, so I park ed there.
Lutheran Church

I walked along the trail that led to the Beaver Creek, which was nicely mowed and had honeysuckle and wild roses lining the path, giving it a wonderful scent.  No one was fishing today.

Two Room Schoolhouse
Great views at the graveyard
I went back down Beaver Creek Road toward the stone barn and mill.  The barn is going to be renovated into a cafe, and the mill was absolutely gorgeous, having been renovated by its present owners into a private residence.  The mill race still sends rushing water under the foundation of the mill, which bubbles and froths as it exits.  The owners have set up beautiful gardens and sitting areas, but I obeyed the "no trespassing, private property" signs, so I could not venture too close.

There were a few other private homes nearby, all made of the same stone.  One of them is used as a cottage for fly fishermen to rent.

Stone outbuilding
I walked back along Beaver Creek Road and turned left onto Beaver Creek Church Road.  I soon came to an old two room school building, now owned by the Washington County Historical Society, which they operate as a museum.  Beyond it was an old Lutheran church with a graveyard containing a number of Doub graves, and across the street was another church.  All were built of brick.

This was a beautiful area with gorgeous views, well maintained properties, and lush plantings.  If you're interested in fly fishing, check out this fisherman friendly site with historic charm.














Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment