Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 266 - The Eyler Property

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

The House
The Barn
The weather today could not have been any more perfect:  low humidity, clear blue sky, cool temps.  On this fabulous day, I headed to Creagerstown to the property of Chris and Bill Eyler.

The spring house and pond
Nester
As you may know, if you have been following me, I am involved in the big plein air painting competition that is coming to Frederick in June.  This year, artists will be painting anywhere in Frederick County, not just in the city, and the web site for the event is listing both public and private sites where painters may want to go.  Chris and Bill have a beautiful, historic property that they will open to artists, so I went to meet them and take photos for the web site.  I decided that this would also be the perfect location for my walk today.

Spring House Reflected
Koosa Dogwood
The couple met me at their fully restored brick Moravian style home, set on 50+ acres between Creagerstown and Thurmont.  At the beginning of their long drive, there is a log home called Breeches Pocket that is rented out for vacationers and short stays. 

As we walked the property, Chris told me that their home was pretty much in ruins when they acquired it in 1976.  The original home was built in 1794, and they have been hard at work restoring it, building the barn, maintaining the spring fed pond, and caring for the beautiful gardens.  It was obvious that they have paid great attention to detail, from the style of the doors to the hardware and the light fixtures.  A stream called  "Jacob's Branch" runs through the site.

Fern Simplicity
There were numerous walnut trees on the property, along with some ash and blue spruce.  The pond was surrounded by yellow iris, and the gardens were full of hostas, ferns, bleeding heart, digitalis, purple sage, and iris. 

After Chris and Bill left me, I did my own walk again of the entire property, enjoying the beautiful weather and the beautiful surroundings.  Any artist -- or photographer -- would find plenty to catch his or her eye in this wonderful place.



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment