Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 248 - Poffenberger Road

(Click on any photo to enlarge it.)

Gabion baskets for
erosion control line
parts of the creek.
The old 1810 Lewis Mill
I went to visit my friend Susy Hanson today at Catoctin Pottery on Poffenberger Road in Jefferson, Maryland.  She and her husband John live in a restored mill along Catoctin Creek.

I parked at the mill and told Susy that this time I was determined to walk the 2+ miles to the vintage metal bridge that crosses Catoctin Creek.  It was a beautiful day, despite predicted rain and storms.  The sky was blue and there were puffy white clouds, so I knew that today would be the day I would complete the challenge I set for myself, walking along the gravel road.

Backlit Beauty on Blue
Thunderclouds
However, a little over half a mile into the walk paralleling the creek, I heard thunder.  I looked around, and behind me the skies were dark gray and threatening.  I saw no lightning, but thunder kept repeating itself, so I decided to do the prudent thing and return to the pottery.

New leaves against the creek waters
Susy and John have installed solar panels on the roof and side of the old mill, along with environmentally friendly composting toilet systems.  Susy has her pottery studio in the lower part of the building, and their home is on the top floor.  The setting is idyllic, with the creek and the trees and the numerous birds that frequent their gardens and feeders.
Pretty in purple

When I returned home, the roads were wet, so the storm had obviously passed through, but not where I was walking.  I figured it was better to have erred on the side of caution.

Frederick County's rural roads offer some great walking and beautiful scenery.  To find out more about them, visit the Friends of Rural Roads website.  Maybe I'll pass you on one of these roads.  I'll be the woman with the white hair and the camera around my neck.






Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment