Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 247 - Havre de Grace, Revisited

(Click on any photo to enlarge it.)

The Promenade
Today I revisited one of my favorite Maryland towns, Havre de Grace.  There is definitely enough there to encompass four great photo walks, so perhaps I have more visits to make.

Goose, Goose...where's the duck?
My friends Kris and Ray dropped me off at Tydings Memorial Park, at the waterfront on the end of Union Street.  I walked down the hill to the marina, then to the left along Commerce Street, where I found the Promenade.  It was a boardwalk that bordered the waterfront from Tydings Memorial Park to the Concord Point Lighthouse on the edge of the downtown historic district.

Concord Point Lighthouse
Love these porches!
The Promenade was wide, and I met a number of morning walkers along its length.  Periodically there were historical markers describing the attack on Havre de Grace during the War of 1812.  As a matter of fact, two hundred years ago on May 3, 1813, the town was successfully sacked and burned by the British, despite the efforts of local hero John O'Neill to save it.

At the end of the Promenade is the Concord Point Lighthouse, the northernmost lighthouse on the Cheseapeake Bay, and the first lighthouse keeper was John O'Neill, the aforementioned hero.  It was built in 1827, using granite from nearby Port Deposit, which has been the site of a previous photo walk.

Cherry Blossom Snow
After walking along the Promenade, I returned downtown to meet my friends, where we had a great lunch at the Laurappin Grill, featuring locally grown farm products.  I can highly recommend the crab and corn bisque.

Havre de Grace was one of the sites considered by Congress as the nation's capital, being finally beat out by the current Washington, D.C.  It is beautiful any time of year, but today, with the azaleas, dogwoods, lilacs, and hostas giving beautiful spring color to the many Victorian homes and parks and streets of Havre de Grace, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, and I look forward to exploring more of what this town has to offer.

 Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment