Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 261- Linton Historic District

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Church of the Brethren
Wild Poppies
Today I walked in a peaceful little community that I found by visiting the Maryland Tourism sight and using their interactive map.  I followed Rt. 75 north through Union Bridge, until I came to McKinstry's Mill Road.  That's where I found the Linwood Historic District.

I drove through it, to figure out where to park and how much area I should plan on walking, and at the end of the little village I found a Church of the Brethren at the top of a hill.  I drove to the lot behind the church to park.

Grain Elevator
The view from the top of the hill was pastoral:  a red barn in the distance, a log home at the bottom of the hill, green fields of grain waving in the breeze, and at the top of the rise of a distant hill, the cement plant at Union Bridge was reflecting the sun.

Windmill
I walked down the hill into the village, passing by the barn, some old brick homes, and an old clapboard building that may have functioned as a store or a freight office at one time.  The homes on both sides of the street had nice gardens and neatly trimmed yards, and a couple of them had small outbuildings like smokehouses or covered wells.

The major feature of Linwood is the old grain elevator building that is next to the railroad tracks.  The link above says that Linwood was a rail depot, with all the supporting buildings that are needed for transportation and storage of farm goods.

Four hot chicks -- hard to see, but
there are four.
Garlic Mustard by the Creek
I crossed the railroad tracks and went across the small, one-lane bridge over a creek.  The creek's banks were choked with garlic mustard.

When I came back across the bridge, I discovered a nest in a leafless bush, about three feet off the ground.  I peered closer at the nest, hoping to find some eggs, but I saw four wide-open yellow mouths waving on skinny little bird necks!  I hope that the coming heat does not dehydrate these little fledgings, because there was absolutely no shade for them.
Rose covered arch

Linton has at least two homes for sale.  One of them was formerly a bed and breakfast and includes the old general store building.  If you're looking for a pretty country location, and don't mind keeping time by the passing trains, you may want to check out this small, historic village.









Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment