Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 244 - Ellicott City

(Clcik on any photo to enlarge it.)

Town Mural
Pink seemed to be a theme in town
It's been since September that I last visited Ellicott City, and because I was doing some engagement photos for a couple who lives there, I decided to do my walk there after we got done.

The day was gorgeous, although cool, and lots of people were out on the streets of the town.  This historic district has deep milling roots.  The B&O railroad station is a national historic landmark and the oldest standing station in the nation.  It also has an old flour mill, established in 1772 by the Ellicott brothers.

Lucious Lilacs
Tea for Two?
Many of the town's buildings are built from local granite, and several of them seem to be built right into the sides of the granite cliffs that border one side of the town.  Huge rocks even come right out onto the sidewalk, which was modified to fit around them.

The town has churches up steep streets that zigzag up the hill.

Dress Discoveries
Parking was at a premium in town, and people were forming long lines at the pay stations.  Luckily, because I got there at 8 a.m. for the photo session, I had no trouble finding a place.  When we returned from Baltimore around 11:00, the lots were full.

Jam Packed
I walked up and down the main street two or three times.  Once because my battery died at the end of the main street, causing me to return to my car for a fresh one, and a second time to find lunch at a restaurant near the train station.  So my photos are from scenes along main street, which I got to see a lot of today.

If you go to Ellicott City for the quaint shops and restaurants, go early in the morning to find parking, because the tourist season for this historic place near Baltimore is in full swing.



 Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment