Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 269 - Funkstown, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Front Porch in Funkstown
Arched Bridge over Antietam Creek
My favorite thing about small towns is the front porches.  In a time before air conditioning and television, families used to gather on front porches in the summer to sit in the shade, fan themselves, drink lemonade, and swap local gossip.  Kids played on the sidewalks or in the streets, where adults could keep an eye on them.

Funkstown Town Hall
Today I walked in Funkstown, Maryland, just a few miles southeast of Hagerstown, located along Alt 40, aka the Old National Pike.  Bordered on three sides by Antietam Creek, the town was laid out by Jacob Funck, in 1767.  Originally named Jerusalem, the name became Funck's Jerusalem Town, then Funck's Town, and in 1840 it was incorporated as Funkstown.  Some of the log homes from the founding of the town are still used as private homes along the main street, Baltimore Street.   On July 10, 1863, the Battle of Funkstown took place as part of Robert E. Lee's retreat from Gettysburg.

Garden Scene
I parked at the fire house, then walked along Baltimore Street, often getting side tracked onto side streets.  Many of the homes along Baltimore have been converted to businesses, such as a hair salon, a tavern, a liquor store, a tea room, a cafe, antique shops, and a hobby shop.  One of the businesses at the far end of town was named Guten Tag (good day), reflecting the German heritage of many of the town's settlers.

Historic Home
Roses were in abundant bloom today, covering fences and arbors and climbing up garage walls.  Peonies were falling over themselves, they were so top heavy.  These floral displays made for a very pleasant walk this morning, before the real heat set in.

Rose Covered Fence
Incidentally, I installed a new app on my iPhone, called "Map My Run."  I turned it on, and it recorded everywhere I walked, showing me a map of the route I took, my pace, and how many miles I did.  Today I walked 2.1 miles in Funkstown.  I can see this app as being very useful if there is ever a need for me to retrace my routes in the future.

Log Home on Baltimore Street
Funkstown has an abundance of front porches, and although no one was sitting out on them this morning, I'd like to think that on summer evenings, they are still a gathering place for neighbors, even if they are just sitting out there to check messages on their cell phones.

You know I love these...











Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment