Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 273 - Frederick Festival of the Arts

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Today I volunteered to man (woman?) a booth for Easels in Frederick, a big plein air painting event I am a part of that is coming to Frederick in less than three weeks.  The booth was located at the Frederick Festival of the Arts on Carroll Creek downtown today.

Embossed Flags over Carroll Creek
Both before and after my shift at the booth, I walked the length of the festival several times, each time with a different purpose.  The first time was to find out where my booth was located.  The second was to see what different types of craft vendors were there today.  The third was to check out the photography booths in particular, and the fourth was to find the food vendors.

Popcorn in Plastic Wrap
Solarized Metal Sidewalk Grate
The weather was gray and occasionally spitting rain, but not unpleasant.  Lots and lots of people were walking along the creek, many with their dogs. 

As I was checking out the photographers, I realized many of them did not have what I would call traditional photography, as in framed or matted prints of landscapes and nature.  Those that did had their photos printed on really large canvases.  Others, however, had used various filters to turn their photos into watercolor or to look like oil paintings.  One photographer used his photos in a series of collages to make more collages.  One women had a circular twist to each of her photos.  Another photographed only items in motion, which made his images look like colored waves and swirls.  If there was a photographer with traditional photos, they either specialized in local scenes or functional art, such as putting their photos on tiles or glass.

Watercolored Hammock Ropes
At home, looking at my photos from today, I got inspired to try to little different look, using Photoshop filters.  It's gimmicky, but fun.  And that's what photography should never cease to be.




Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment