Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 299 - Seneca Falls, NY

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Women's Rights were Born Here
Waste Not, Want Not
Today was my last day in the Finger Lakes region, and I definitely wanted to do a walk in Seneca Falls, near where we are staying.  However, I wanted to get this walk done early, since I have a long drive home, so I got out on the streets of town around 6:30 a.m., when few people were out and about.

Seneca Falls is famous for being the birthplace of the women's rights movement.  There is a National Park here, which offers tours of the Wesleyan Chapel, where the first Women's Rights Convention was held in 1848, the M'Clintock House, which was a stop on the Underground Railroad as well as the place where the "Declaration of Sentiments" was drafted, and the Elizabeth Cady Stanton home.

1940's Rumsey Electric
Lawnmowers were made
in Seneca Falls
I parked downtown and first studied the maps at the National Park Visitor Center.  It told me that the building nearby was the Wesleyan Chapel, where the convention was held.  I walked around the side of the chapel, discovering a plaque that said that Elizabeth Cady Stanton moved the resolution of rights, and that it was seconded by Frederick Douglass!  As a matter of fact, there were 32 men who signed the declaration along with the 68 women.  I could go on and on about the history and the movement, because there is a lot of information both at the park and online, but the point of this blog entry is really a photo walk, not a history lecture, so I hope you will take the time to explore the links I have provided.

On Bridge Street
As I walked along the commercial district, which has suffered many fires over the years, I noticed many references to the movie "It's a Wonderful Life."  It is widely believed that the town was the model for the film's fictional location, Bedford Falls.  Director Frank Capra visited Seneca Falls several times in the 1940's while the screenplay was being written. 

The angel got his wings!
To capitalize on the similarities between Seneca Falls and Bedford Falls, there is a museum dedicated to the movie, a hotel named Clarence, and many little references throughout town to Bedford Falls, including signs on Bridge Street labeling it on one side as "George Bradley Lane" and on the other as "Bedford Falls Blvd."

More Recent History
The town of Seneca Falls is split in half by the Cayuga Seneca Canal, which has a working lock at one end of town.  There are homes and businesses on both sides of the canal, which is connected at both ends and in the middle by bridges.


The Famous Bridge
The seeds of change were planted here in Seneca Falls in 1848.  Women in the U.S. did not get the right to vote until 1920.  Thank you, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the other forward thinking and brave women who set the wheels in motion.  The women of America owe you a debt of gratitude.






Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment