Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 288 - Wolfsville

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Farmhouse on Pleasant Walk
See the dog below the garage door?
Lest anyone was counting, I messed up my numbering, and posted yesterday as Day 288.  I happened to catch it, so I fixed it to 287, and now I am really doing Day 288.  I suppose I could make the year end much more quickly if I skipped days in the numbering system every now and then, but frankly, I don't want the year to end, so there's no need to rush it.

What a beautiful sky!
Speaking of rushing it, the little community where I was today had nothing rushing at all.  Even the streams that ran through it were flowing gently.  A few people were out working in their gardens, or tinkering in an outbuilding, and one or two cars passed through town, speed limit 25.  Wolfsville, on the western edge of Frederick County, on the western side of Catoctin Mountain, is definitely a quiet little place.

I parked at the Salem United Methodist Church and walked to the intersection of Wolfsville Road, Stottlemeyer Road, and Pleasant Walk Road.  With a name like Pleasant Walk beckoning me, I headed down that road first.

At the corner of Pleasant Walk
A dog resting in one of the yards saw me and came running at full speed (I do seem to threaten the local dog population), until his chain brought him up short.  His owner yelled at him to stop the barking.  She told me he was chained, and I told her that I was glad that he couldn't come into the road, and she laughed.  She told me that around Wolfsville, I was more likely to find a chicken in the road.  Ha!  Little did I know...

Old German Reformed Cemetery
I turned around after a while on Pleasant Walk, which was a tree shaded country road, and walked in the direction of the elementary school.  Ahead of me, on the newly mowed lawn of the school, a large brown chicken was making a beeline for the house across the street.  A man in the yard of the house stood in the driveway calling the chicken, and fussing at it when the chicken came in the yard.  I laughingly told the man about the woman's remark about chickens in the road, and he told me that ever since he let the chickens go free range, that one brown chicken liked to cross the road to the school.  While we were talking about chickens, two more headed across the road, so it wasn't just that one.  It's like they were playing "follow the leader."  The man told me he was just going to give up.  He said, "I just can't figure out why they want to cross that road."  Boy, did he leave himself wide open with that remark!!
Chicken goes to school.

Faded Glory
I walked farther down to an old cemetery, then back to the middle of the community and took a left onto Stottlemeyer, where the road crossed a creek.  Nothing was rushing here, either, so I returned to my car and headed for home.

Happily, the age old question of why did the chicken cross the road was answered today in Wolfsville.  It wanted to go to school!





 Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment