Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 289 - Art "En Plein Air"

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

William Wright sketches
Backlit Redbud Leaves
The week that the Easels in Frederick committee has been working so hard for since October has finally arrived!  Thirty juried plein air artists from 16 different states checked in to the Frederick Visitor Center this morning before going out into Frederick, both city and county, to find a location and set up an easel.

I am the chairperson of the artists receptions, both the ticketed champagne preview event on Friday, June 21, and the free public reception on Saturday, June 22.  The receptions will be held at the Talley Rec Center in downtown Frederick, where 120 paintings created this week will be on sale.  It's a wonderful opportunity to buy amazing art of the beautiful place in which we live.  I have shown you a lot of what is beautiful in Frederick City and county via these photo walks, so you know that those who come to see the art are in for a treat -- and those who purchase the art will be even happier.

Uh oh.  Parking Ticket
Self Portrait
I watched as the artists checked in, greeted other artists they have met through other plein air events (Easton, Richmond), and got their maps and forms and instructions.  As artists left registration, they were heading out to locations to get to work right away.  Because the sky and the forecast were threatening rain, I decided to walk downtown this morning, to see if I could find any of the artists at work.

At the corner of East All Saints and South Market Street, I found an artist sketching the United Fire Company's great building, with its fire bell and cupola.  I continued around Baker Park and at City Hall I found two more.  That's when the rain decided to start.  It was sprinkles, and then a downpour, as a thunderstorm rolled through.  I ducked into a coffee shop at the corner of Market and Court, where I sat with a cup and read "The Washington Post."  When the rain had reduced somewhat, I walked to the Court Street parking deck to pick up "no parking" signs that I need for the event. 

Random Sidewalk Art
Susan Lynn sketches City Hall
For the first time ever on these walks, I decided I needed a ride back to my car.  I had my camera, my phone, and the no parking signs, and I was still a good 10 minutes away from my car.  I called Connie at the Visitor Center, and she gave me a lift back.  I got caught without my rain gear today, which was in the car.

This is the only day this week that rain is predicted, so I am glad it happened early.  The artists can drive around and scout out locations in the county for painting this week.  Most of them have never been to Frederick County.  They are in for a treat.

If you are interested in coming to any of the receptions to see the art, visit the Easels in Frederick website.  I hope to see you there!



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment