Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 283 - Along the Golden Mile, Part I

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Feed me!
Pet Store Parakeets
The commercial area of Frederick along Rt. 40 known as "The Golden Mile" has been getting a lot of press lately, due to a plan for Walmart to occupy parts of the old Frederick Towne Mall.  Thirty years ago, this was the place that people went to shop.  Today, the area is suffering from closed businesses and empty stores, and groups of concerned citizens are trying to devise plans to revitalize the area.

I did not walk The Golden Mile today, but I did walk at one end of it, along Baughman's Lane, Key Parkway, through the Westridge Shopping Center, and then back along Rt. 40 to Baughman's Lane.

Colorful Corner
Along the way, I passed a large housing development known as Tasker's Chance.  I had no idea it was behind all the shopping centers that line Rt. 40.  In the parking lot area of Westridge Shopping Center, I was pleased to see a number of ginko trees.  As I walked past KMart, the 3-D letters on the side of the wall were jammed full of bird nests, and starlings were flying in and out, feeding their young.
Hard Times Cafe

I strolled into Joann Fabrics, enjoying the cool air.  It had been totally rearranged inside, so I had to walk the entire store to figure out the new layout.

Pink & Green Impatiens, Swiped
After leaving Joann's, I went into Dutch's Plant Farm, where I practiced doing "swipes" with my camera, using a slow shutter speed and a quick swipe either up or down or side to side as I pressed the shutter.

I'll walk more of the Golden Mile, because it is an area of Frederick I don't know very well.  And, occasionally I can duck into air conditioned stores to cool off in the summer heat, which is always a bonus.  Hmmm.... I wonder how many places I can find that sell ice cream?  That's something to discover.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment