Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 291 - Fields of Lavender

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

This is the way I paint!
Fields of Daisy Fleabane
When I saw that one of the juried artists for Easels in Frederick had painted a yellow building with fields of purple lavender, I knew that had to be the site for my walk today.  The Springfield Winery and Distillery is brand new, still undergoing finishing touches to its event building for a summertime opening. 

Wild Onion bloom
Built on the historic estate of Catoctin Furnace owner James Johnson, this gorgeous farm at the edge of Catoctin Mountain has been admired by travelers up and down Rt. 15 for generations.  The bank barn on the property has been renovated to be the distillery and tasting room, which will feature new wines this summer. 

Bumblebee on lavender
In front of the yellow barn-turned-event room are fields of lavender, which are in full bloom right now.  My friend Norma and I drove the short distance from Frederick to Auburn Road, parked by the barn, and walked out into the lavender fields.  Hundreds of cabbage white and yellow little butterflies were working on the lavender, including bees and an occasional black or yellow swallowtail.

Renovated barn on left
I walked around the property, finding no one around, although I did not go up to the stone house.  I walked down the lane to the front of the property, back up the lane, around the young grape vines, and back into the lavender.  Wildflowers were also interspersed with grasses in natural meadows.

Complementary colors!
No artists were at the farm today, unless Norma and I count (of course we do!).  We just happen to use our cameras to capture the beauty around us, just like the artists use their paints.  And to me, it's a whole lot easier!

 



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment