Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 301 - Rockville, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Beall Dawson House
Bee on Coneflower
If you are a regular reader, you know that I love historic districts.  I am known to suddenly make a turn off the road to follow a brown historic district sign.  Because I was going to Rockville today to see the gallery opening of my friend Beamie Young, I planned to do my walk today in the Rockville Historic District.

Moderization
My anticipation of a good walk turned into frustration fairly quickly.  First of all, I could not find the historic district.  The gallery was away from downtown, so I looked up the Historical Society and decided it would be at least near the historic district.  I eventually found what looked like it might be the district, and I parked my car to begin my walk.  That's when it started to rain.  Ah well...

Fire Museum
My friend Norma was with me, so we walked toward what looked like a historic church on West Jefferson Street. We walked along various streets called Middle Lane, Adams, Montgomery, Van Buren, and Wood.  We found the Beall Dawson House, which had a few outbuildings and a nice little garden.  The barn/garage contained a library.

911!
By this time, the rain was ending, so the umbrellas came down, and we continued our wandering along the streets, finally ending up at the modern center of Rockville, known as the Town Square.  We opted not to go into Town Square, because it might be a location for a future walk, but by this time, Norma and I were wearing the humidity like a blanket.  She stood under the shade of a building while I detoured to the courthouse, then we worked our way back to the car.

The Old Red Courthouse
I have been spoiled by historic districts where they are fairly well contained.  In Rockville, there was so much new mixed with small pockets of old, that without a map or a walking tour, I am sure I missed most of what there was to see.  I did see a number of historical markers, part of an African American History walking tour, so that would definitely be worth checking out.

Cool "art deco" style building
I was somewhat disappointed by the walk today, at least as far as the historic parts.  We ended the walk needing to mop our faces, so you know what we looked for immediately afterwards.  Yes, you guessed right.  Ice cream. 

I'm soooo predictable lately!



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment