Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 310 - Schifferstadt Boulevard

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Summer Teasel
That's a lotta hay!
This walk is really what I thought would be Monocacy Boulevard, Part II.  I did Part I about a week ago, and today I finished what I thought would be the second half, from the intersection of Monocacy Blvd and East Church Street.  However, when you come up to the light at the intersection, there are signs that point in two different directions for Monocacy Blvd, which I have always thought to be confusing.  Apparently, Monocacy takes a hard right at the intersection, where it continues with no sidewalks.  What I actually walked along today, from East Church to North Market (aka Rt. 355) was Schifferstadt Boulevard.  Go figure.

Corn is tasseling
Summer Farm
Anyway, it was raining on and off when I set out for my walk, so I stopped and bought a new golf-style umbrella.  It really is too hot and humid for wearing my rain jacket, so I replaced the last umbrella I used, which was ruined by wind.  This new one has two-part construction, to make it better in the wind.  However, I did not find out how it performs in rain, because I carried it the entire 2.74 mile walk, with nary a drop from the sky.  If I had not had the umbrella, I am sure it would have rained buckets.

Wild blackberries
This must be a really
important spot!
I parked at Thomas Johnson Middle School to begin my walk.  This section of the boulevard passes apartment complexes and parks.  The parks have playgrounds and soccer fields, a basketball court and a pavilion.  It is called River Walk, but I did not see the river anywhere.  The section nearest to the Monocacy/East Church intersection, which was where I ended my previous walk, is primarily farmland.  The nice, wide expanses here would be a perfect location for bluebird boxes.  I saw lots of birds and acres of corn, just starting to tassle.  There were wildflowers and groundhogs and even a black squirrel.

Queen Anne's Lace Bud
Now that I have finished the length of this section of the boulevard, I can check one more item off my list!










Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment