Saturday, July 20, 2013

Day 321 - Cambridge, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Choptank River Lighthouse
Chastity Pants?
Cambridge, Maryland, is full of history. From its shipbuilding past, to famous trials at the courthouse, to Harriet Tubman, and to the race riots that took place there in the 1960's, Cambridge has seen a lot and survived much.  Recent fires have taken their toll on at least three downtown buildings, but the historic district in one of Maryland's oldest colonial towns is hanging on.

Date:  1763
I drove over the Choptank River bridge and turned right on Maryland Avenue, following the brown "historic attraction" signs to Long Wharf Park.  This waterfront park is part marina, part fishing pier, and part picnic area.  Its most notable feature is a replica Chesapeake Bay style lighthouse on stilts, the Choptank River Light.

I love Maryland homes like this.
I parked at the marina and walked back along High Street to the downtown area.  High Street is one of the oldest streets in Cambridge, lined with beautiful homes from the mid-1700's to turn-of-the-century Victorians.  The street is wide and paved with bricks, which makes for a noisy ride when cars go by. Many of the yards have huge old sycamores and towering magnolias, enclosed within age-old iron fencing.

Along High Street is the Italianate style county courthouse, with historical markers noting the trials of Underground Railroad "conductors."  Dorchester County was a hotbed of Underground Railroad activity.  There is also a brick platform in the courthouse yard where President Kennedy spoke in 1960.

Dorchester County Courthouse
Portion of Mosaic Mural
I turned off High Street and followed Race Street through the old commercial section of town.  There were some antiques, jewelry, and consignment businesses open today, along with a couple of places to eat.  I did pass three buildings that were boarded up and condemned, due to fires.

None of the art galleries I passed today seemed to be open, despite the fact that this was the "arts and entertainment district," according to a sign I saw.  Perhaps they open later in the afternoon.

Love Their Old Signs
The lone vine in the
alley found the lone
window in the wall
This is a town that I lived within 30 minutes of for 40 years, yet rarely visited.  Occasionally my husband and I would stop to eat at Snapper's Cafe on the water, which had a great crabcake.  (They might still -- I just have not eaten one there recently.)  Walking along High Street reminded me today that this is a town worth revisiting -- whether it is to come for one of the festivals, to make it a central point for exploring the area, or for doing the gallery stroll on Second Saturdays.  I think I may just have to book a long weekend at a Bed & Breakfast there sometime in the fall.

Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment