Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 327 - Larriland

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Mr. Larri Himself?
Sunflowers galore!
I've been saving a walk at Larriland for when it was a perfect summer day.  Cooler temps, blue sky, plentiful summer crops -- today fit the bill. 

This big Farm/U-Pick operation is located near Lisbon, MD.  I parked at the barn where fruits and vegetables already picked can be purchased, and first I walked among the "cut your own" flowers.  They had sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds, and more.  Butterflies and bees were at work on the blossoms.

Perfect Day on the Farm
Beets Await Picking
Next I walked down the brown gravel lanes, leading behind the red barn, around the lake, to the distant raspberry, blueberry, and beet fields.  The lake was reflecting the blue sky and puffy white clouds.  A few Canada geese were swimming at the far edge.

The many hues of raspberries.
As I rounded the curve to the raspberry fields, the beet field was in front.  The greens were pretty well dying off, and thousands of large beets were practically lying on top of the soil. 

Someone else's hard work.
I continued up the hill and into the rows of raspberries.  As was true with the Christmas trees when I was walking those farms in December, the best ones are at the farthest ends of the rows.  The berries were pretty well finished, but tucked in here and there I found some ripe ones that had been overlooked, so of course I had to sample a few.

I didn't eat them all...
After the raspberry fields, I walked the rows of blueberry bushes.  There were lots of berries here to choose from, some in varying stages of ripeness; there should be good picking for the next few weeks.

I walked back along the lanes to the barn again, fully intending to return with the car to the blueberry field to pick some, but I found a huge bag of 20 peaches labeled "seconds," for only $8.00.  I hauled it to the register and paid, deciding to make peach crisp tonight, with vanilla ice cream.  Yum! 

The blueberries might have to wait until next week.



Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment