Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 330 - Audrey Carroll Audubon Sanctuary

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Queen Anne's Lace with Pink Edges
Goldenrod signals fall allergies!
What a beautiful day it was!  Because the humidity was down, the skies were blue, and the temps were in the mid-70's, I knew that today's walk would have to be about the walk.  Some days, these walks are more about the place or the potential photos; other days, it's about the walk.  And because this was one of those days, I chose the Audrey Carroll Audubon Sanctuary to visit.  I wanted to enjoy the beautiful day and commune with nature out in the sun, so this was the perfect place.

Reaching for the Sky!
Thistle Seeds
The wide open paths between natural areas of tall grasses are also populated with milkweed, Queen Anne's Lace, and a host of other natural plants I don't know the names of.  Winding in among the plants are also bindweed (they look like morning glories), honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, and lots of poison ivy.

This is the same sanctuary that has the old dairy farm house and buildings, but they are in the woods, and because I was alone, I decided not to venture that way.  I think the whole thing with the abandonment and the ghostly figures painted on the barn walls is sort of creepy.

Yellow Swallowtails
Black-Eyed Susans
I walked for about 45 minutes, enjoying the weather, when I found a butterfly garden.  It was the Eagle Scout project of Zachary Dowell in 2009.  Yellow swallowtails were having a great feast on the purple butterfly bush.

When I got home to look at my photos, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I had taken 45 on my walk, and there were plenty for the blog today.  Sometimes, the walk that is just for the walk also turns out to be for the photos, as well!

 Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 

Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment