Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 320 - Stevensville, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Lost?
Christ Church
How many times have I roared past Stevensville, MD, on my way across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge?  200?  300?  Well, today that came to an end.  I drove across the Bay Bridge on my way to the Eastern Shore, but instead of streaming on with the traffic heading for the beach, I stopped in Stevensville, following the brown "historic district" signs.

As usual, I drove around first, to figure out the scope of the walk.  When in doubt about where to park, look for a church, because their lot is usually pretty empty on a weekday.  As luck would have it, I found a space with good shade at a beautiful, historic little church called "Christ Church," built in 1880.  The temperature as I parked was 96 degrees.

Old Post Office
Sit a Spell
I walked along the little streets that comprise the village, including Main Street and Love Point Roads.  There were no sidewalks, but there were lots of tourist attractions in the forms of a pastry shop, antique shops, a consignment shop, gift shops, and art galleries.  There were even some services like a hair salon and a mower repair shop.  I found historic sites like the old Post Office building, Christ Church, the Cockey House, and the old Stevensville Bank.  They are all described at this link.

Spoked
No Dough, No Mow
To escape the heat, I stopped into some of the little shops, enjoying their air conditioning. Because Stevensville is on the eastern edge of the Chesapeake Bay, the theme of many of the shops was that of the shore:  flip flop signs, seagulls, shells, netting, and nautical decor.  

Cockey House
After my walk, I stopped into the Rustico Restaurant for a nice lunch, where I downed at least three glasses of cold water.  It is important to stay hydrated if you are out in this heat.

The next time you are on the Eastern Shore, take a few minutes to explore the village of Stevensville.  It's a nice place to get a quiet lunch or to enjoy a coffee and pastry away from the traffic on Rt. 50.


Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment