Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 317 - Burnside Bridge at Antietam

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Burnside Bridge
Early morning sky
I have not spent enough time at the Antietam National Battlefield for these daily walks, so with my intent to beat the heat this week, I left home at 5:30 and by 6:20 a.m. I was sitting in the parking lot for Burnside Bridge.

Adjacent to the parking area was a beautiful, naturalized, grassy hillside with wildflowers.  Goldfinches were flitting among the flowers, and as I approached, they would fly to the branches of a nearby tree.  Unfortunately, I could not get a clear shot of any, but I did enjoying watching them.

Morning chickory, waiting for sun
I followed the path to the bridge, and as I approached it, I saw a great blue heron standing in the water, just at the opening to one of the three arches on the stone bridge.  As I drew closer, he waded into the water under the bridge, out of my sight.

2nd Maryland Infantry Memorial
I walked on the path beyond the bridge, turning to get a good shot of this beautiful and historic structure, then came back and crossed the bridge to the other side.   On this side of the bridge were numerous historical plaques detailing the battle at the bridge, led by General Ambrose Burnside.  The bridge, formerly named Rohrbach's or Lower Bridge, has been known as Burnside ever since the Civil War.  It was actively used for traffic, closing only in 1966.

Mr. Blue, hiding from me
McKinley Memorial
At the bridge, I managed to see the great blue again, now hiding under the arch.  As I observed him, he casually waded back out into the water beyond the stonework.

I recrossed the bridge and took the path that led to Georgians' Overlook, where troops from the Twentieth Georgia fired down onto the Union line.  This overlook was completely overgrown today, so it overlooked nothing but trees, but perhaps this area was cleared for farmland during the war, giving soldiers on this higher ground a clear line of sight.

Milkweed Blossom
By 7 a.m. I was bathed in sweat, even though the temperature had only reached 81.  I was happy to get into my air conditioned car and head to the Red Robin Restaurant for coffee and breakfast.

Maryland's National Battlefields are great places to walk.  They provide learning, beautiful scenery, walking paths, and an opportunity to connect with both nature and the events of the past.  Antietam deserves even more of my time, and I will return again.


 Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment