Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 313 - Point Lookout, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Point Lookout Light
Even though it was steadily raining, and because I was in Southern Maryland, I decided to go "all the way" and drive down to the southernmost tip of Maryland on the western side of the Chesapeake Bay.

At the entrance gate to the state park, no one was around.  The park seemed deserted.  Therefore, I did not get a map, a brochure, or anything to help me figure out where things were, so I drove on the main road until water came into view, finally arriving at the lighthouse.

Iridescent Shell
I parked my car, then zipped my little camera under my jacket to protect it from the rain, and walked back the length of the road I had just driven.  There was water on both sides of the point, but it was only visible on the east (Chesapeake) side, where large rocks and a seawall protect the land.  The water was whipping up against the rocks and whitecaps were visible.  The west (Potomac) side of the point was marshy, with tall grasses obscuring views of the water from that side.

Beautiful Deceiver
Along the seawall were four fishermen, all chatting to each other in Spanish.  I asked them if they were having any luck.  One man said no, but just then another pulled in a large croaker.  These dedicated fishermen were having fun despite the rain.

When I saw this line of pebbles,
I just had to add my beach glass.
I continued along the road until I came to the picnic/swimming area sign, and followed it to the west side of the point.  To my surprise, there was a woman and her four children, all fully clothed, having a wonderful time splashing about in the warm water.  I asked them if there were any jellyfish, and one of the kids told me no.  However, as I walked along the water's edge looking for beach glass, I did see one about six inches in diameter.

Keeping watch over Fort Lincoln
I followed a sign that led me to Ft. Lincoln a quarter of a mile down the path, where I stopped to read the historical markers.  There is so much information that I could include here, that this blog entry would be far too long.  Here is a link to good information about Fort Lincoln and the Civil War POW camp, Camp Hoffman.

Working the Potomac River
While I was at the earthen walls of Fort Lincoln, an eagle landed in a tree in the distance above my head.  I managed to zoom in pretty well with my little camera.  A workboat also appeared in the river.

Well-worn door
It was very quiet and peaceful today at Point Lookout, in sharp contrast to its past and all the misery and suffering and death that has occurred in this place where almost 3400 prisoners died and shipwrecked crews have lost their lives, earning it a reputation as haunted.  But the swimmers, the fishermen, and the eagle and I were appreciating the beauty of nature today during a warm rain.  May the lost souls of Point Lookout rest in peace.





Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment