Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 329 - Hampstead, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Do they really need
"enter" and "exit" signs?
Police station in an old bank
As is true with most of the small Maryland towns I have visited, commerce seems to have left the center of town and settled on the ends.  You'll find the grocery stores, the fast food chains, and the gas stations clustered at the far ends of the main drag.  Of course that makes sense, seeing as how most of the modern businesses need parking space and square footage for their stores.  However, in some of the small towns, there is still a commercial center, where antique shops, a cafe, a hair salon, and a bookstore/gift shop draw visitors to the center of the "old" downtown.


Do you think this sign needs updating?
In Hampstead, the town is long, spread for about a mile on either side of Rt. 30, also known as the Hanover Pike.  There are older homes that have been converted to businesses such as tax preparation, a barber shop, a hair salon, a florist, and a carpet cleaning business, mixed in with residences and small commercial areas with a bank, a laundromat, a diner, and an auto parts business.  There does not seem to be a cluster of businesses, such as in downtown Berlin or Westminster.  It is definitely spread out over the length of the pike.

Rotting tree stump makes great fungi
Have the hydrangea been extra pretty this year?
Although there is more to Hampstead than meets the eye, with businesses and industry located both north and south of the town, my walk today found it to be a relatively quiet place, with the exception of fairly regular traffic moving along Rt. 30, aka Main Street.

"Recycled" school building
I parked at one end of town and walked along the sidewalks, which were in good shape for a relatively "old" town, thanks to a recent Main Street Revitalization program.  I always appreciate when there are push-buttons at crosswalks and fewer trip hazards due replaced sections where trees have uprooted the sidewalk joints.

Patriotism is a common theme
in small towns
One building I especially took note of was the old Hampstead School, which was been renovated into senior housing.  The beautiful brick building is on the National Register of Historic Places.  I always appreciate when historic buildings are put to a modern use.

Hampstead is yet one more Maryland town I can cross off my list.  The days are flying by so fast.  There are only 35 more days in this year of daily photo walking.  If you have any special places you would like to see featured, please let me know by leaving me a comment or emailing me (address below).  I have the time and the means, and I'd love to make my readers happy!

Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment