Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 336 - Detour Winery

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

These mushrooms looked liked baked
meringues!
The clouds reflected in the pond.
The best thing about starting this daily photo walk has been meeting new people.  On Day 100, I met Gary, when we did a walk in downtown Annapolis.  I have since met his wife, Karen, and today I had the pleasure of meeting their daughter, Laura, and her husband, Jason.

Jason found this snail shell.
Cattails wave in the breeze
Laura and Jason live in Detour, Maryland, across the road from the Detour Winery.  She suggested we do a walk at the winery, and then go into Keymar to visit The Red Caboose, an antique store I have been wanting to visit.

It could not have been a more beautiful day for a walk at the winery.  We started out with a tasting in their tasting room, where I approved both the Gewürztraminer and the Ice Wine.  We then walked the grounds, passing by the event room, the creek, the pond, and the rows of grapevines.

What a view!
The beautiful red barn
Laura asked me if I wanted to see an old red barn, so down the road we went to their place.  Jason has lived on this property all his life, either at the home of his parents or grandparents, and he and Laura are living now
in his grandmother's house, working on restoring it.  The old part, with handhewn post and beam construction, is from the late 1800's.  And the barn?  Yes, it is old, but it is beautiful.  Jason recently repainted it a beautiful red, and the louvered vents are white.  The barn is a bank style barn, with an old stone foundation.  Inside, it is all post and beam construction, with lofts filled with hay baled by the farmers to whom they lease the land.

Modern American Gothic
Previous barn painters signed their names!
We walked back to the winery, then went to the antiques shop (by car) and ended with ice cream (of course).  Thank you, Detour Winery, Laura, and Jason, for a great way to spend a beautiful Sunday summer afternoon.






Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment