Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 359 - New Market, the "back" roads

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Please join me on the last day, September 2, for a celebration photo walk!  Registration details are here.

79 Degrees
Fire Siren
Not New Market again, you say?  When I get in a crunch mode for time, as I am today, I fall back on what is easy.  But to give it a twist, I decided to walk the "back" roads.

Paralleling Main Street is a road that starts on the east side of the fire hall and ends about a quarter mile away, with Main Street on the left and the busy roar of traffic going by on I-70 to the right.   This road is appropriately named South Alley.  Along it are some homes, deep back yards of homes facing Main Street, and the New Market Grange Hall.

Lichen the crab apple!
Left Hanging
I turned left on Federal Street and walked north, crossing Main Street, and then turned left onto the appropriately named North Alley.  Along it I passed a Verizon building, the New Market Methodist Church (1821), two cemeteries, backyards of homes facing Main Street, and a pond near the side yard of the elementary school that was covered in duck weed.

Come on in!
I had walked North Alley before, but never South.  Which brings me to a good point when walking old, familiar towns.  Go down the side streets.  Look for the back alleys. They may not present the best "faces" to visitors, but they can make for some very interesting photo opportunities.

Sinking into the graveyard
Enjoy your day -- I'm off to the shower!






Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment