Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 345 - Strasburg, PA

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Please join me on the last day, September 2, for a celebration photo walk!  Registration details are here.

Loaded with Charm
Love the backwards N!
My phone blared an emergency flash flood warning to me at 5:30 this morning.  I didn't even know it was raining.  It blasted the awful sound again at 7:30, so my friend Joan and I got up, looked outside, and immediately scrapped our plans for going to Winterthur today.

American-made Fishing Gear
We loved this house!
Instead, we made a road trip to Strasburg, to soak up all that we could of Amish Country, seeing as it was nearby.  And wouldn't you know it, on the way there, we did encounter those flash floods.  My GPS directed me to go through Downsville, but it may as well have been named Drownsville.  Finally, I just took the nearest road I could find and got out of town, and the GPS soon realized I meant business, and found me a new route to take.

Colorful Charm is Everywhere!
Strasburg, PA, is a big railroad town.  There are a ton of things to do there for railroad enthusiasts, including museums, train rides, toy trains, and restaurants where you eat in trains.

How sweet are these?
We opted not to do the trains, since there were lots of tourists there, and we drove into the center of town, then drove around, as is my usual method, to see what there is to see.  We returned to the center of town and parked across the street from the Strasburg Country Store and Creamery, where we bought you know what.  I highly recommend the gingersnap flavor.  Then we walked several blocks in one direction down Main Street and then several blocks in the other direction, admiring shops, churches, and historic homes.  Almost every home along Main Street had an historical society marker with its date, some as early as 1714, and others in the mid-1800's.

Taken from the car
Our one big disappointment was in not seeing any Amish buggies, so I drove out into the countryside, where we overloaded on Amish buggies.  By then, the weather was fabulous, with blue skies and puffy white clouds, so I put the top down on the Hummingbird Feeder, and we rolled.

We had a great day in Amish Country.  Winterthur is now on tap for tomorrow!


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment