Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 337 - Middletown, Maryland

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Disc Golf Hole 11
Like almost any other public park, Middletown's park has the usual amenities:  a playground, ball fields, basketball courts, pavilions, trees, benches, walking paths, and a place to fish.  There is even a trail of bluebird boxes at this park.  But there are two amenities not found in most public parks:  a disc golf course and marble courts.

Pond Scum Abstract
Each of these amenities may need some explanation.  Disc golf is a sport whereby frisbee-like discs are hurled into chainlink "baskets," from a designated spot some distance away, known as a tee.  It takes lots of practice to get the plastic disc to land in the basket, considering that the tee is many yards away.  If you read the link I have provided, there is much more information about the way it is played, the rules, the types of discs, etc.  Anyway, the course at Middletown consists of 18 "holes."  I saw one man practicing at one of the tees today.

The Lake at the Park
I walked around the park on this beautiful day, pretty much following the 18 holes of disc golf, which in itself gives one a good walk.  I saw two girls practicing at the volleyball net, and two young men playing basketball.  There were a couple of joggers and walkers, but no kids were on the playground.  They must have been out shopping for school supplies, since school starts in Frederick County two weeks from today.

Marble Court Down Low
There is a nice lake with a fountain, and one family was doing a little fishing.  I next saw large squares low to the ground, painted blue, with large yellow circles in the middle.  Marble courts!  There were six or seven of them laid out, with mulch between each court.  I suddenly remembered that the newest national marble champ is from Middletown.  His name is Cooper Fisher, 12, and he was crowned on Thursday, June 20, in Wildwood, NJ.  Congratulations, Cooper!  Certainly he must have competed on these very courts.  I walked carefully around each court, hoping to find a stray marble that may have escaped the boundaries and gone unfound, but I had no such luck.  I suppose marble competitors keep a sharp eye out that their favorites are all accounted for.

This large park is a real asset for Frederick County residents, with plenty of places for a variety of activities.  And as for discs and marbles?  Bring your own.

Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment