Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 333 - Preparing for the Last Day

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

Public Art on the Stone Bridge
I needed to have some work done on my car in downtown Frederick this morning, so I used the opportunity to walk around and begin planning the group photo walk for my last day on Monday, September 2, which is also Labor Day, so lots of people will have off that day.

First on my agenda was finding a place to have a group gathering and a meal, but I did not have much success in finding a place that could accommodate a group on a Monday morning.  Most of the restaurants don't open until after 11:00, and the one that does serve breakfast could not accommodate a group in a separate area, where it would be quieter and away from regular customers.  So, it looks like the walk will have to be done later in the morning, ending with lunch.

My next quest was to work on some themes for the walk.  Some walkers may be very familiar with Frederick, whereas others may never have been here before.  I started thinking about what Frederick is known for, and I developed some "strands" for photo walkers to choose from and pursue, if they so want.

One of Frederick's Iron Dogs
Frederick is known as a dog friendly town, and there are at least four iron dog statues, painted black, in front of local residences and historic buildings.  In addition to the dogs, there are other animals, either in wrought iron, painted, sculpted, or live (such as a cat or a dog in a window or on a leash).  A map will be provided to photo walkers who choose this theme, to give them some things to look for.

Of course, Frederick is also known for its clustered church spires.  Do you know where they are?  How did Frederick come to be known in this way?  A walk to find these historic churches will provide the answers to those questions.

Colorful Frederick Welcomes You!
Frederick has numerous historical markers and plaques, detailing information ranging from Francis Scott Key to Barbara Fritchie to its role in the Civil War.  Another walk will take you to some of these markers.  There has to be a theme for the history buffs, right?

There is a lot of public art in Frederick, which is also known for its galleries and arts centers.  The public art walk will have you walking to the Community Bridge, admiring the new look of Carroll Creek, and finding the paintings on some of the downtown buildings.

Come find me on the walk!
I'm still on a mission to find a place to accommodate a group for lunch after the walk, where we can compare photos, chat with each other about photo walking, and celebrate the end of my year of photo walking.

In the meantime, I hope you will consider joining me.  I've made new friends along the way, and I'd love to make a few more.  Some of you have been regular readers and commenters on my posts.  It would be great to finally meet you and thank you for your support.

Save the date!  Monday, September 2.  I hope to finalize plans by early next week.

Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 10:30 a.m., followed by lunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment