Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 354 - Little Bennett Regional Park

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Please join me on the last day, September 2, for a celebration photo walk!  Registration details are here.

Sculpture by the Mill
The History of the Mill
When I did my walk in Hyattstown earlier this year, I encountered the Little Bennett Regional Park, so today I decided to return there for my walk.

The park is one of the largest naturally preserved areas in Montgomery County, with over 3700 acres and 20 miles of trails.  Because it is so large, the park has entrances on Rt. 355 at Hyattstown, a couple of places along Clarksburg Road, and one for horse trailer parking on Lewisdale Road.  The park also contains Montgomery County's only camping area and the Little Bennett Golf Course.

The trail I walked
Another Suspended Leaf
I parked at the lot by the Hyattstown Fire Department and walked the lane to the old mill building.  I've included a photo of the information marker next to the mill building, because it was very interesting reading.  The mill building is now used as an arts center.

Just beyond the mill is the beginning of the Western Piedmont Trail, which follows the old Hyattstown Mill Road.  Because I knew I was likely to be the only person walking on this trail today, I took my walking stick, my cell phone, and my pepper spray, in case there were any stray dogs or snakes along the way.  Luckily, I did not have to use any of my precautions.

Mineral Gathering
Serene Stream
The trail is an old gravel road, which is well maintained.  Whenever I encountered sunny areas, there were butterflies fluttering around, landing on the gravel.  Apparently, this is a way for butterflies to get minerals, when they sip the wet areas between stones.  I have noticed this phenomenon on a number of my walks, but I never knew what they were doing until I researched it today.

Japanese Stiltgrass
lines the path
Along the sides of the trail, particularly in open areas, there was loads of invasive Japanese stiltgrass.  John and Meg had lots of it growing in their wet areas on my walk last night, and although John told me it was Japanese swordgrass, the true name is stiltgrass.  I have noticed lots of it in areas by rivers and creeks when I am on my walks.

Colors and Textures
The road paralleled and then crossed the Little Bennett Creek, where the clear water was flowing well today.  There were small, minnow-like fish in the water.

I turned around when I got to Prescott Road, and returned the way I had come.

I had another nice walk in the woods today, keeping company with the butterflies.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment