Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 346 - Longwood Gardens

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Please join me on the last day, September 2, for a celebration photo walk!  Registration details are here.

Purple Triad
I caught her unaware.
It was educator day today at Longwood, so what better place for two educators to go than Longwood, especially with free admission?

The land upon which Longwood was built was originally owned by the Quaker Peirce family, who planted trees in the 1800's, creating an arboretum.  Mr. du Pont purchased the farm in 1906 to preserve the trees, then began building the gardens, creating most of what is in place today.  You can read more of the history here.

Joan and I walked through the Flower Garden area, where everything was arranged in colors:  purples, yellows, whites, oranges, and yellows.  I was fascinated by the backsides of leaves, finding insects, and trying closeups.
He thinks he's hiding.

Amber Waves
We strolled by the Italian Water gardens, through the arboretum, over to the fountains, and then through the trial gardens, ending at the topiary garden.

We were there for two hours, enjoying everything but the conversatories, which we are saving for tomorrow.

Longwood Gardens is a "must see" in the Brandywine Valley region.  It's an easy day trip from Frederick, and one that I will be sure to make again, probably at Christmas.
Green Waves

Purple ruffles
Thank you, Pierre du Pont, for establishing this beautiful garden for generations to enjoy.








Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment