Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day 357 - Hancock, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Please join me on the last day, September 2, for a celebration photo walk!  Registration details are here.

Little Apple Lover
It's been a fantastic day.  First of all, I got up, went out to get the paper, and the story of my photo walking year was on the front page of Travel section of the Frederick News-Post.  Hurray! 
Rail trail on far left; canal
on immediate left;
tow path on right;
Potomac River on far right
out of frame

Having this whole beautiful day to myself, I hopped in the Hummingbird Feeder with the top down and headed west.  My destination was Hancock, MD.

Hancock bills itself as a rail trail and canal town, and it is justified in doing so.  Located at the point where Rt. 68 splits off from Rt. 70, the town is actually on the old National Road, which you know I have been following for much of this year.  Hancock is also at the narrowest point of Maryland, with Pennsylvania just a few miles to the north, and West Virginia just a stone's throw across the Potomac River, which parallels the main street of the town.

Wayne and Ray keep town watch
There are lots of things that line up in parallels in Hancock.  To the south, there is the Potomac River.  A few steps away is the C&O Canal towpath, which is now a national park from Cumberland to Washington, DC.  Next to the towpath is the canal, and then there is the Western Maryland Rail Trail, a paved path over the old railroad line.  Next is Main Street, and then W. High Street located on the hillside above the town, and finally the Rt. 70/40 combo.

I sure hope so...
This canal town is also a bike town.  In fact, I saw more bikers here than any other types of people, including local residents.  Later, when I drove west out of town to find one of the last remaining National Road tollhouses, I saw that most of the local residents were at the park west of town, playing beach volleyball or baseball, picnicking, or using the pool.

As I walked the streets of town, I occasionally found myself behind Ray and Wayne.  They must be regular town walkers, because they stopped to talk to nearly everyone who was outside or emerging from the local downtown restaurant, Weaver's.  As I passed by Weaver's, two couples emerged from having had their Sunday dinner.  One woman said, "Lord, I shouldn't have eaten all that.  I try to watch my weight when I eat out."  The other woman said, "Oh, I watch my weight.  I watch it go up, and up, and up!"

I love this wrought iron
And look at this beauty!
I walked down to the bike shop located by the rail trail, where lots of people were either loading or unloading bikes on the back of their vehicles.  I vowed then and there to do more biking on the local trails and tow paths in the coming year.  (I might even bring along my camera!)

I noticed some beautiful wrought iron fences and gates in this town.  They were quite elaborate, and would cost a fortune to duplicate today.

What if I'm on a bike?
Most of the businesses were closed on this fine day, and unfortunately, many of them permanently.  The economy has taken a toll on Hancock.

Hancock Toll House
Next time you are whizzing by Hancock in your car on Rt. 70, or rolling by on your bicycle along either the rail trail or the tow path, take a few minutes to stop and explore the town.  Stop in for lunch at Weaver's, and take home a pie.  According to their website, they bake over 500 a week.  I can't vouch for them personally, but judging from the number of people I saw emerging with bakery boxes in hand, they must be good.



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment