Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 340 - Columbia, Maryland

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

***Scroll down to see my offer for Red Cross donations.***

The Fountain at Town Center
My friend Karen is passionate about Columbia.  She moved to the planned community shortly after it began, settling into a townhouse in the Owen Brown Village.  Karen quickly joined the Columbia Association and got involved with the Interfaith Communities that were a unique part of early Columbia.

Karen has since lived in a number of places, but now she lives in my neighborhood, so she offered to take me on a walk around Lake Kittamaqundi, the 27 acre man-made lake that anchors the Town Center.  Before we got there, though, Karen filled me in on the history of Columbia, which grew from the vision and planning of Jim Rouse, who was also responsible for spearheading the revitalization of Baltimore's Inner Harbor.  You can read more of the history of Columbia and its villages at this link.

The People Tree
What ya doin' tonight, Duck?
We arrived at the lake around 9 a.m., when there were a few people out on terraces enjoying coffee, and a kids sailing camp was practicing how to make various knots with rope.  Karen pointed out the "people tree," a tall metal sculpture that the Columbia Association website describes as made of fiberglass and gold leaf.  It was created in 1967 by Parisian artist Pierre duFayet, and it interprets "Columbia's goal to create an environment that contributes to the growth of people and fosters community spirit."

I'll pose for you!
Snagged Turtle
We attempted to walk around the lake in one direction, but the paved path soon took us into a neighborhood.  We backtracked and went the other direction, passing a building under renovation, a father and son fishing, and a mother and daughter riding bikes.  We crossed a small bridge, spying some preening ducks, and then the paved path took us to the opposite side of the lake.  The child on the bike was standing at the edge of the water, looking at a turtle on a log.  I managed to snap a photo before he plopped into the water.  Later, examining the photo on the computer, I noticed that the turtle has a fish hook and line attached at its mouth.  Although it is impossible to keep turtles from snapping at a baited hook and getting it caught in its mouth, I do remind people fishing in our lakes and streams to use the hook and line disposal units that are so frequently displayed in our parks at fishing areas.  

So glad I did not step on this little
guy! He'll be a monarch butterfly!
The paved path made a loop about halfway around the lake, returning us back the way we came.  As we passed by the father and son again, the little boy was jumping up and down excitedly, because of the little catfish he had caught.  His father was removing the hook so he could toss the fish back in.

Future Sailors
The sailing class was now strapping on their life preservers and loading into their small sailboats to practice the skills they had learned on land. 

One of Karen's photos of the fountain
On the way home, I asked Karen why she didn't return to Columbia when she moved back to Maryland from Utah.  After all, she clearly has a love for it.  Oh, but her grandchildren would be too far away, she said.  Ah, yes, that reason has a familiar ring to it.  It's the reason 90% of us live in my neighborhood.  It's because of the kids.  As it should be...




Save the date!  Monday, September 2, will be the last day of my year long photo walk project, and I'm planning a big celebration walk with anyone who wants to join me!  September 2 is also Labor Day, so many of you will have the day off.  The walk will be in downtown Frederick, around 9 a.m., followed by a brunch.  More details will be posted on my blog as they get confirmed.  But mark your calendars, grab your cameras, put on your walking shoes, and join me for my final Daily Photo Walk.  Let's jam the streets of Frederick with photo walkers! 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Forward me by email any receipt for an online donation made to the Red Cross for disaster relief, and I will send you a 5x7 print of your choice from any of my daily photo walks or from my website.  Offer good until September 2, 2013.

Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps (I use the Nikon Coolpix P7700)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment