Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 11 - Near Lackland Air Force Base

This morning I dropped my daughter off at the base so that I could have the car and sit for a while at a McDonald's to get breakfast and to use the free wi-fi.  Because she could have called me at any minute to tell me to come and get her, I decided to walk around the streets here.

This is a busy, urban part of town.  There is a high school next to McD's, and the place was full of students with backpacks early on.  Interesting note for my SDMS friends -- even though it was 81 degrees already at 6 a.m., all of the girls had on long pants.  It must be a dress code thing.

I saw people queued up at the DMV waiting for driver's license services; day laborers were clustered at their meeting place, waiting for today's assignment; many drivers were beeping their horns impatiently as soon as traffic lights turned green.  Long lines were at drive-in windows at the numerous fast food places.  Busy morning life in a busy city.

I would have loved to take photos of the day laborers, some of the students, and the cars waiting in line, but I am not quite bold enough to ask.  I am sure that the people who see me walking around with my camera in places like this think I am either a nutcase or a totally misplaced tourist.  Maybe I will create a small card to carry around with me, the way Bill Adkins did for his "Year on Market Street" project, to hand to people that I might approach for a photo, letting them know of my intentions.  But not here.  I'll do that when I am back on familiar turf.






*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:

  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses

No comments:

Post a Comment