Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 13 - A Different San Antonio Neighborhood

This is my last day in Texas, so I decided to go to a local state park and do my daily walk there.  When I got there, the ranger told me that all trails were closed, but that I was welcome to walk on the roads and in the parking lots.  I instead let her direct me to a town park that was about six miles away.

However, when I got there, I discovered the park was really a recreational park, with groups of kids playing basketball, little league fields, and a YMCA, but not really a place to take a good walk.  So I walked instead in the adjoining neighborhood.

I took pictures of these trees, which were low to the ground and twisty. 



Clinging to the under-canopy branches were hundreds of what are commonly called air plants, but which are really epiphytes (plants that draw water from the air) known as ball moss. 



I met a friendly resident who told me that the trees are called live oaks, and that some of the ones in the neighborhood were several hundred years old.   He said they are very slow growing and that they are usually well taken care of by those who have the old, twisty ones in their yards.

An unusual squirrel ran for one of the holes in the trunk of a live oak.  I tried to find what kind of squirrel he is, but frankly, he looks like a cross between a black squirrel, a gray squirrel, and a raccoon (note the stripey tail).



Tomorrow morning I fly out of San Antonio at 6 a.m.  Let's hope that this flight is as smooth and as quiet as the last one, minus bomb threat surprises upon landing.


 
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:

  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses

No comments:

Post a Comment