Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 27 - Worthington Farm

Farmland scenery along the gravel lane.

The gravel lane to Worthington.
This area is surrounded by beautiful farmlands and historic sites, so today I took my walk at Worthington Farm, which is part of the Monocacy National Battlefield.

You have a choice of driving up to the brick farmhouse or parking at the end of the mile long gravel lane leading up to the farm.  I chose to walk the long gravel lane today.  It borders I-270, which is buffered by trees, but still you can hear the roar of the high speed traffic as you walk down this otherwise quiet country lane.

The farmhouse at Worthington.
Once I got to the farmhouse, I walked to the right along the cow pastures and then onto the Ford Trail, which loops down by the Monocacy River.  However, after following it for about a mile, walking alone without my cell phone, and not knowing at the time that it did loop, I turned around and came back. 







The trail was rutted with roots, and the thought occurred to me that if I turned my ankle, it was foolish to be out on the trail without any means of getting help, so I erred on the side of caution.  I will make a conscious effort not to forget my phone on future walks, especially these isolated kinds.

A heart shaped hole in a tree.





Cannon by the farmhouse.

At the farmhouse, a photographer was taking engagement pictures of a couple on the front porch.  I took a few pictures around the yard of the house and then began the long walk back to my car. 



Along the way, I spied a field with 11 deer grazing.  They bounded into the woods as I got near, flipping their white tails in retreat.




 Altogether, I walked about four miles today, which took an hour.  I will return to the farm another time, with cell phone, and take the other trail that I did not venture onto today.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:

  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment