Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 14 - Sykesville, MD

After a safe, uneventful trip on Southwest Airlines back to Maryland, I arrived at the airport in Baltimore at 10:00 this morning.  I drove toward Frederick, detouring on Rt. 32 North to Sykesville, Maryland.

The Train Depot;
Now Baldwin's
Sykesville is a smaller version of Ellicott City, with a similar history.  It was originally a mill town, built along the banks of the Patapsco River, with a railroad and depot.  It, too, has houses clinging to the hills along Main Street.

It was a Sunday morning, so most of the businesses were not open yet.  I walked along Main Street until the sidewalk ran out and the sharp curve at the top of the hill would not enable me safe walking, with no visibility for oncoming drivers.  Hence, another rule:  Walk only where it is safe to do so.

After my walk, I stopped at Baldwin's Station and Pub, built in the former train depot.  I sat on the covered platform that lines the track and had a nice soup and salad for brunch at 11:30, having eaten my breakfast at the San Antonio Airport at 5 a.m.  A nice couple and I chatted about the area, and I ended up giving them one of my business cards.  We all agreed that I need to create "walking cards" that I can give out to people who either question what I am doing or who are merely curious.  Sometimes, like today, I might take their picture, and they'll be able to check out the blog.

This house was on a steep hill;
it reminded me of the "Adams
Family" house.
I'll visit Sykesville again for the Fine Art & Wine Festival in May.












*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:

  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment