Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 105 - Walkersville, Maryland

Santa waves to his admirers
Chris and Erin with kids
Walkersville -- What a perfect name for a place to take a walk.  Or, in my case, both a walk and a ride on the Santa Train.

The forecast was for rain today, but luckily, no rain yet, just solid gray skies.  I met my family at the Walkersville Southern Railway, where we took an hour and fifteen minute excursion on the train.  There were four old NY railway commuter cars, and we sat in one that was still unrestored, with its original seats, floors, and windows. 

One of the Walkersville homes
Christmas Window
 After the train ride, I left the family to do my walk.  Last night was the candlelight tour of homes and churches in Walkersville, so many of the homes were decorated to the hilt.  The town is fairly spread out, with old neighborhoods, several churches, and some commercial businesses mixed in.  There did not really seem to be a central section of "downtown" in Walkersville.  There are modern commercial areas on the outskirts of town, but nothing that I could identify as an area with shops and boutiques and cafes clustered together, as is true of many of the small towns I have visited.

Another Walkersville home
St. Paul's Lutheran
As I walked down Fulton Avenue, admiring the historic homes there, Joy and Joel Herman came out into their yard to remove the candle holders they had set up for last night along their iron fence.  We chatted a while, and then they invited me to come inside their home, which was still ornately decorated from last night's tour.  And what a splendid home it is!  Even with my little Nikon P7100 and no tripod or flash, I still managed to get a few good shots of the interior.  I also took bracketed exposures of the outside of the house so that I could merge them in HDR Efex Pro 2.  I am pretty pleased with the photos my little camera is capable of.

I enjoyed my time in Walkersville.  The Redskins also just won their game, so all in all, it was a great day!


Photos of the Herman home, outside and in:









Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment