Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 99 - Union Bridge, MD


Busy, Noisy Resting Place
PNC Bank Nowadays
Today's forecast called for rain this afternoon, so this morning I headed out to Union Bridge, MD, just over the Frederick County line in Carroll County.  Upon approaching Union Bridge, you see the huge impact that the Lehigh Portland Cement Company has had on the landscape, with long hills of stone and sand and dirt sculpted by earth moving machines.  This plant is the largest employer in the area.

As per my usual method of scoping out a new walking location, I drove from one end of Main St. to the other, and I chose to park at the far end of town by the Western Maryland Railway Museum (open only on Sundays.)

Mountain View not so much
I walked up and down the main street of the town, ending up at the Mountain View Cemetery adjoining the cement plant.  It's ironic that the primary view of the final resting place of those buried here is of a busy industry that never rests.

History on Broadway
I walked back into the center of town and started going up and down the side streets and alleys.  On one of the most historic residential streets, West Broadway, I met a man whose house was for sale.  He told me a lot of the history of the area. I promised him I would help spread the word about his house sale.

Union Bridge Depot
Back in the town center, I found a statue dedicated to William Henry Rinehart, a local boy who became a world-renowned sculptor.  There is also some Civil War history, with a marker by the railroad depot that describes how the body of General John Reynolds, killed at Gettysburg, was packed in ice in Union Bridge and sent home to his widow on the train.

Decorated for Christmas
It started to rain in earnest just as I ended my hour long walk.  I learn so much in every small town I visit.  There is history in all of them, just waiting to be discovered.



 Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment