Friday, December 28, 2012

Day 117 - Havre de Grace, MD

Swimming along in Havre de Grace
Another fantastic walk!  I just loved Havre de Grace, and I am already planning a return trip.  There is so much to see, it is so beautiful, and I just couldn't take it all in in one walk.

Can you find Joan and me?
Havre de Grace, or Harbor of Grace, is located at the top of the Chesapeake Bay, at the mouth of the Susquehanna River.  It has a history all the way back to Captain John Smith, when he sailed up the Susquehanna in 1608.  In 1782, the Marquis de Lafayette noted its resemblance to Le Havre, France, and he suggested the name of Havre de Grace, which the citizens took to heart.  It is also most interesting to note that were it not for the tie-breaking vote of the speaker of the house, which he cast in favor of Washington, DC, Havre de Grace would have become our nation's capital in 1789.

The Havre de Grace
United Methodist Church
Today, Havre de Grace, aka HDG, is a tourism magnet, with its beautiful port, its bridges,  and its close proximity to I-95, making it easily accessible from the Baltimore metro area and Wilmington, DE, alike.

The VFW Eagle
My friend Joan and I parked at one end of town and began our walk in the historic district.  It was before 10 a.m., so none of the stores were open, but frankly, the downtown has fewer gift shop/boutique places than Chesapeake City does.  There were some antique shops, some professional offices, a VFW, a hair salon, a bank, and so on.

We walked through most of the downtown, then veered off onto some side streets, lured by a beautiful large Methodist church that had a European look with its green copper trim and large granite stones.  The pastor, Reverend Norman Obenshain, gave us a personal tour of the church, relating its interesting history.  It was built by a local businessman  and former mayor, Mr. Stephen Seneca, who offered to build the church in 1901 if the congregation would provide the heating, lighting, and furnishings.  Joan and I had seen the Seneca Canning Company, now an antiques mall, previously on our walk.
So typical for Maryland!

Upon leaving the church, we walked along Revolution and Union Streets, admiring stunning Victorian homes.  Many were bed and breakfasts, so I noted a few to return to in the spring.

After we finished our walk and Joan left for Baltimore, I drove around more of Havre de Grace, finding a waterfront park, the harbor, a lighthouse, and more.  That's why I need to go back -- there is so much more to see!


Yellow and gray shoes under yellow and gray door;
how could I resist this shot?

This reminded me of French Country homes.



No color saturation applied -- honest!

Inside the church -- built in the Akron style.

Beautiful stairwell

Pink Victorian

Stone Victorian



Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment