Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 97 - Thomas Farm, Revisited

Thomas Farm House
Today was the holiday Museum Tour in Frederick County, and on the list of places that were open to the public was the Thomas Farm house, which I have never been inside before.  At the entrance to the long lane is a "Private Property, Do Not Enter" sign which I have generally obeyed, but today, it was covered up, and I was happy to get access to the property.

Onlooker
The Thomas Farm is part of the Monocacy Battlefield, and I have walked its grounds before (the public part -- see Day 74). It has a fascinating history, having been the scene of some of the heaviest fighting during the Battle of the Monocacy.  Luckily, the family hid in the cellar of the home and survived.  Docents showed us some of the bullet holes preserved by the front door.

The farm is now being restored by the National Park Service, so only the front parlors were open for us to see today, but clearly, someone had modernized the interior of the home (it was used as a private residence until recently), and so there was not very much that was photo worthy inside.

The view from the house
My friend Norma and I walked all over the grounds, including the long lane leading to the property, as well as around the barns and outbuildings.  We spent some time photographing the cows.  

After we left Thomas Farm, we went to the Hessian Barracks (see Day 56) and to Rose Hill Manor (see day 44), where we were able to get access to buildings that are normally closed to the public.
Wavy Glass Reflection


 If you are looking for great places to take photo walks, the holidays provide some tours and events that give you access you normally cannot get otherwise.

Sunset at Rose Hill Manor





Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment