Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Day 114 - Snowy Poolesville

Poolesville's Landmark Building
Ring the bells!
"I heard the bells on Christmas Day, their old familiar carols play..."  This was certainly true for me as I was doing my walk this morning in Poolesville, MD.  I had just taken a photo of the Episcopal Church when the hand-pulled bell in the steeple began to ring.  There was a service going on inside the church, and the bells were heralding both the end of the service and the birth of Christ.

It snowed yesterday, and in Poolesville, there was a little less than an inch on the ground, but it was just enough to coat the sidewalks and make walking on them very tricky.  Remembering my fall only a week ago, I chose to walk in the street, where it was safer.  There was little to no traffic today, as well.
No burglars today...

Self Portrait
Poolesville is best remembered from my childhood as the little town we drove through when we were taking White's Ferry to Leesburg, VA.  Other than a big leap in growth of subdivisions surrounding the area, the center of town is relatively unchanged.  A big bank building sits in the center of town; it was later used as the town hall, and now it is owned by a historic preservation society.  Small churches and a gas station, a few private residences, and a few stores comprise the center of town.

I need to revisit Poolesville and make trips to the ferry (still operating across the Potomac River), the C&O Canal, and other historic sites.  But today, my walk in the streets, avoiding the slick sidewalks, was enough.

I'm off to see the grandchildren this afternoon.  Merry Christmas to all!







The sidewalks


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment