Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 156 - Utica Mills Covered Bridge

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Utica Mills Covered Bridge
St. Paul's Lutheran
A short drive north on Rt. 15 out of Frederick brings you to the Old Frederick Road.  I have learned to follow these roads with "Old" in the name, such as "Old Annapolis Road" and "Old Liberty Road," because they lead you to some of the great stuff you miss if you stay on the "new" road.  Of course, speed limits are lower, but the better scenery is the trade-off.

A tree grows through it.
Utica Road, a short turn off Old Frederick, leads to one of Frederick County's covered bridges.  This one, which crosses over Fishing Creek, is on the National Register of Historic Places.  It has had its share of damage and repair since 1843, the tales of which can be read at this link: http://www.mdcoveredbridges.com/utica.html

Winter Color
My friend Norma and I headed to the bridge on this gray February day, to get in a good walk and to check out the bridge and the surrounding area.  We parked at the St. Paul's Lutheran Church nearby, then walked down the road to the bridge.

The creek nearby was not as flooded as it would have been a day or two ago, but it was running high, with a swift current.  We were pleased to see that the water was fairly clear, compared to the muddy brown of most creeks and river the past two days.


After we finished at the bridge, we walked along Lenhart Road to a horse farm, past the church, and then back again. 

I'm so glad that Frederick County has this classic piece of history for us to enjoy.



Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment