Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 161 - Washington, DC

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

St. Matthew's
Building with a building
Today I went on a photo trip to St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington, DC.  My friends Beamie and Erin and I registered for a Capital Photography course for learning how to photograph architecture such as cathedrals.

We arrived in DC via metro a few hours early so that we could do a photo walk together.  After exiting the metro station at Farragut North, we walked on Connecticut Avenue for a few blocks, from K - M streets and in some of the surrounding blocks.

First, we spied the Mayflower Hotel, one of Washington's historic hotels.  The lobby gleamed with polished marble and chandeliers.  We had fun taking photos inside, especially at the mirrors.

Brewmaster's Castle
Then we saw a sign for the Brewmaster's Castle, so we walked a few blocks until we found it.  Built in 1892, it was the first fireproof residence in the nation's capital.  It was closed, but we definitely want to go back for a tour.  The green copper trim on the building was beautiful against the brown stone.
Waiting outside the bar.

Along the streets, we were constantly looking for reflections, and we were not disappointed.  There is a mix of old and new in this part of Washington, and we took it all in.

After a nice lunch, we found ourselves on Embassy Row.  Then we got coffee in a Starbucks to warm up, and headed to St. Matthew's for our class.

Lobby of the Mayflower
Cam and Beamie and Erin
It was a beautiful day, if not a bit nippy at times, but we enjoyed our trip to DC.  Also, I am happy to report that for the first time in more than 40 years, I went down an escalator!  It has been a longtime difficult thing for me to do (only down, not up), and today I did it.

Thanks, Beamie and Erin, for a memorable walk in our nation's capital!




One of the photos I took inside the
cathedral. I used my Nikon D300
for some HDR.



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

1 comment:

  1. You're an amazing photographer! I hope you're still enjoying all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete