Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 158 - The East Side of East Street

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Coneheads Converged
Forgotten Entrance
The east side of Frederick is an interesting mix of residences and businesses.  The old train tracks run along there, and consequently, warehouses and businesses sprang up near convenient transportation.

I had business at The Loft at AI this afternoon, and first I chatted with owner Sandy Steele, who showed me around the two floors of antiques and furniture and design services.  She is going to allow my HDR photography class to come in and photograph inside on Saturday.  My students will love this opportunity!

Front yard totem pole
Anyway, because I was downtown, I decided to explore the streets that branch off of East Street, going east.

Alley Art
The first street I went down took me to the Goodwill collection facility along East Church Street, and from there I wended my way back and forth between East Church and East Streets, along East 3rd, 4th, and 5th Sts.  The area began as residential with some commercial mixed in, and quickly turned all commercial the farther north I went.

I encountered businesses like autobody shops, auto sales and repair companies, a glass company, an ice company, a food distribution center, a large used auto parts "graveyard" of vehicles in various stages of dismantling behind a chainlink fence, and a large power facility with coils and wires and all manner of metal machinery that warned of the danger of high voltage.

This part of town is busy with activity of a different sort, and it contrasts well with the shoppers and diners and tourists who are out on the streets in historic downtown, just two blocks to the west.  It's great that the two commingle so well in downtown Frederick.


Apologies to this business, but I had fun with this shot.

 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.



Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment